|0.2.3||Jul 9, 2018|
|0.2.2||Jul 8, 2018|
|0.2.1||Feb 5, 2018|
|0.1.9||Jan 22, 2018|
|0.1.1||Nov 19, 2017|
#3 in Emulators
171 downloads per month
As we know, there have been a ton of NES emulator implementations in various kinds of languages (mostly C). All of these emulators come with different accuracy and portability. RuNES is an attempt to build a reasonably accurate (cycle-level accurate), light-weight and efficient emulation core library using Rust. Unlike sprocketnes or pinky, RuNES strives to provide with a clean and minimal core library without standard library (i.e., without Box, Rc, Vectors, etc.) that could be compiled and easily ported to embedded environments. Of course, a minimal but usable SDL-based GUI is also provided as a demonstration of use.
- Core library with minimal use of the Rust core crate, and zero use of std.
- Lightweight and clean code base.
- Support standard 6502 instruction set (unofficial instruction will be considered in the future).
- Load/save the machine state.
- Cycle-level accuracy (in-progress).
- Never use std in the core library.
- At the same time, avoid unsafe as much as possible, but use it at discretion to improve performance: remove unnecessary checks within a very localized context.
- Keep the core library code base minimal.
Build the Example Emulator
# for Ubuntu # install Rust toolchain (https://www.rustup.rs/): # $ sudo apt install curl gcc # $ curl https://sh.rustup.rs -sSf | sh # and add $HOME/.cargo/bin to your $PATH # install SDL2 by: # $ sudo apt install libsdl2-dev # install SDL2 library git clone https://github.com/Determinant/runes.git cd runes cargo build --examples --release # build the binary target/release/examples/runes --help # see the help message
Mac OS X
# install homebrew /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" # install Xcode command line tools xcode-select --install # install SDL2 brew install sdl2 # rust up curl https://sh.rustup.rs -sSf | sh # build RuNES and enjoy git clone https://github.com/Determinant/runes.git cargo build --examples --release